Working with EAL Learners: Integration, Intervention and Inclusion
- Created By Beth Southern
- Last Updated January 26th, 2023
EAL HUB also offers a bespoke in-school EAL review and additional training
Throughout both days there will be a wide range of practical strategies and ideas that can be used at different settings.
|Delivery Model||Face to Face sessions|
|What is Included||
|Deadline booking date||
NEW DATES COMING SOON
|Date of Training||NEW DATES COMING SOON|
|Time (UAE)||8:30am to 3:00pm|
|Venue||Dubai – to be confirmed|
Please note: If COVID restrictions are introduced, this course will become an online training session.
- PRIMARY and SECONDARY Teachers, Teaching Assistants,
- Leaders responsible for EAL provision, EAL Coordinators.
An understanding of how best to support those learners at the early stages of learning English, from their arrival and integration to their induction, assessment and intervention. Plus a consideration of common barriers to learning and what we can reasonably expect from learners at different stages of English proficiency
- Increase confidence around integrating new arrivals
- Gain ideas of how to create a robust and effective admissions and induction process
- Consideration of a flow chart to suit the needs Of your school
- A look at what your school currently does or might need to do
- A consideration of the importance of developing vocabulary from the start
- Phonics and its role in new to English learners
- A range of basic scaffolding ideas for those at the earlier stages of learning English
- A consideration of what effective intervention looks like
There will be a wide range of practical strategies and ideas that can be used at different settings.
|08:45||Registration and refreshments.|
|09:00||Integration and Barriers to Learning
• Reviewing the first steps to integration, preparing for new arrivals and looking at assessment.
• Working with parents to integrate students effectively.
• School auditing and creating an inclusive environment
|11:00||The importance of explicitly teaching vocabulary
• Which words do we have to teach?
• The link between teaching vocabulary and developing reading/writing.
• Whole school ideas and strategies for teaching words, phonics and its role for New to English learners
|14:00||Strategies, activities, and ideas for supporting new to English EAL Learners
• Strategies and games to support EAL students at the beginning of learning English.
• Methods to boost speaking and listening – focus on developing oracy in the classroom
About EAL HUB Limited
EAL HUB Limited is a UK based company established in 2018, by experienced EAL consultant, Beth Southern. The website contains a wealth of high quality resources for EAL learners, as well as assessment and integration strategies. The resources provide simple yet effective strategies to help scaffold learners and enable them to remain in class as much as possible. Beth also provides bespoke training programmes covering many aspects of working with EAL learners.
EAL HUB Ltd aims to provide high-quality personalised consultancy, coaching and training for the development of EAL across all phases of education. From single inset sessions to extended programmes of consultancy and key notes conference speaking, support is tailored to meet the needs of individual teachers, teaching assistants, whole school priorities and CPD training courses.
EAL HUB also offers a bespoke in-school EAL review. To learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org