Inclusion in Dubai Schools for Parents
- Created By Louise Dawson
- Last Updated January 14th, 2022
A dedicated Special Educational Needs and Inclusion course, tailored to parents who have children in schools in the United Arab Emirates. How to navigate the systems and ensure that your children receive quality provision and achieve their potential.
Inclusion for parents
|Delivery Model||Online Face to Face session|
|What is Included|
Deadline booking date
Wednesday 2nd February 2022
Online live sessions
Monday 21st February 2022
PRIMARY and SECONDARY Parents who have an interest in students with additional needs, whether they are already identified with a need, or on their journey. Parents who wish to understand the Dubai Inclusive Education Policy Framework.
The course will provide you with meaningful ways to be engaged with your school, pastoral, wellbeing and inclusion teams. What you can expect, why you can’t get that Arabic Exemption (and who can!), what to look for in a school, what questions to ask and what is a realistic expectation. There will also be time to meet other parents and ask questions.
This course does not allow for questions specific to individual children/families and will not discuss school specific provisions.
- Boost the confidence of parents when supporting children with additional needs
- Provide an overview of inclusion in Dubai
- Provide basic strategies to support children at home
- Ensure that parents have knowledge of terminology and acronyms to demystify inclusion and support better outcomes for children
The Dubai Inclusive Education Policy Framework (2017) and subsequent documentation places parents and students at the heart of provision for inclusion, in the education system.
It states that schools should:
- actively engage families, parents, caregivers and other relevant stakeholders, such as community and social workers and medical professionals, to share responsibility for the education of students who experience SEND
- encourage and support parent/family participation in the education process and ensure that they have every opportunity to contribute to student success
- ensure that parents of children who experience SEND, and where appropriate the children themselves, play a central part in the development of the IEP and related programme design
Parents find this daunting and are often left bewildered by the conversation and journey. These sessions will support parents to be actively engaged in their child’s learning and engage meaningfully and constructively with schools
* Times are UAE 10:00am to 11:00am
Session 1: History of Inclusion in Dubai and beyond
Session 2: Documentation
Session 3: Choosing a school and working together
Session 4: The next chapter?